Roominations

Friday, February 27, 2009

So long skylights

In early 2006, we began talking to architects. In February 2007, the architect we hired was already letting us down. In February 2008, when it was time to get a new architect, I embraced the ranch house vernacular.

There was one key driver for this project and five months ago, the hated feature of this house was finally removed.

“I thought I’d miss the skylights,” Alison commented after walking into our great room on a January afternoon. “But I don’t. It is plenty bright in here.” Aunt Theresa said the same thing on Saturday, when it dawned on her that the 20 holes in the ceiling were now replaced with, well, ceiling.


Matt and I agreed that the room was plenty bright. So bright, in fact, we had to order window treatments (on sale, free shipping). We put up the GreenGuard Certified Solar shades from The Shade Store on Valentine’s Day.

When construction began in August 2008, we decided to turn off the air conditioner to protect the system from all the dust caused by jack hammering concrete and other related activities. We picked up a window fan at Target.

I’m a big fan of the environment and of open windows, but this was August. Although it is said that women don’t perspire, they “glow,” the heat captured in this terrarium of a house didn’t produce a glow, or even sweat, it covered me in a slime coat. That is right. You heard me. Slime coat.

We had tried to mitigate the terrarium factor earlier that summer. After submitting our permit, we figured it wouldn’t be long until construction starts. So we went down into the utility room and brought up a staple gun and the bin marked “fabric and scarves.” Three pieces looked like they would do the trick, a blue table cloth remnant with flowers, a chartreuse tablecloth remnant featuring fruit and a purple silk scare featuring the “ohm” symbol.

Each swatch was then used to cover a skylight over our couch. And it did give us peaceful feeling to be able to see our TV screen before the sun went down. The result was evocative of a circus tent. Or a trailer park. We honestly didn’t care.

When our personal trainer, Tiffiny, saw window treatments, she said, “Oh, I really like that—it looks so cozy.” This is from the same woman who reminds us, “There is no wrong in yoga.”

It helped, it really did. Yet it wasn’t enough. About a month later, during the mid-July heat wave, I obsessively kept checking the weather station in our kitchen to learn that the 84°F temperature indoors was only 10 degrees lower than outdoors.

On Sunday, September 28, chunks fell off of the ceiling. The previous Friday, we had to move the couch to save it from getting wet from the drips of rain.

But no more. No more skylights. No more holes in the ceiling for sun to beat through and rain to stream through. One of the best features of the renovation is the part of the house that is no longer with us.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • What Caroline failed to mention was that it was HOURS after I got their that I notice the sky lights were gone. Everything looks fantastic. The sky lights and the trouble they caused will definitely not be missed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

  • What Caroline failed to mention was that it was HOURS after I got there that I notice the sky lights were gone. Everything looks fantastic. The sky lights and the trouble they caused will definitely not be missed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 AM  

  • I bet you don't miss those skylights -- although the scarves were delightfully bohemian and gypsy-like (FYI: I like how you described the light filtering through them as "evocative of a circus tent". ;-)

    Your Great Room has plenty of windows. The way the sun hits that side of the house, I think it will always be nice and bright in there during the day.

    In occurs to me that I, too, have neglected to notice the lack of skylights in past pictures. I believe the only time I acknowledged that something was different was when I described the cathedral ceiling as looking "extra dramatic" in one of my comments.

    I didn't know you two had gone all summer without air conditioning! With all the construction dust in the air, you must have looked like clay or plaster sculptures by the end of the day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home