Roominations

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Embracing the ranch house vernacular

“This is just a ranch house,” I had whined. Now I am embracing the ranch house vernacular. Why? In December 2007, my husband purchased Ranch House by Alan Hess for me while we were in Sarasota.

In January, we had a play date in NYC with design-savvy David and Barry. As I told them my tale of dream house woes, these modern-house-dwelling, important-furniture-owning friends said nice things about ranch houses. I thought they were simply being supportive until David said, “I had to stop subscribing to Atomic Ranch because I was getting ranch house envy.”

“Huh2,” I thought? Yes, huh squared because I was not only surprised to learn that there was a publication dedicated to all things ranch, I was amazed to hear the words “ranch house” and “envy” so close together in a sentence.

Until I knew more about this mid-century marvel, I saw the ranch as a ubiquitous suburban standard. In the book Atomic Ranch, Michelle Gringeri-Brown gives voice to my previous opinion, calling the style “architecture’s underdog” and “America’s architectural stepchild” (page 6). Per Hess, “There are few other examples in twentieth-century history where modern technology has been applied so directly in order to provide decent mass housing, and so the ranch house represents a victory for modernism” (page 79).

After perusing David’s collection of magazines and reading my books, I began to replace images from the so-called “Manifesto” with a vision of my own house—tweaked, but intact. By Hess’ definition, a ranch is informal, has an open-plan interior and a general horizontal emphasis (page 17)—check, check and check. It occurred to me it might not have been The Fates but my own home that had been exerting its will all along. “Let me be me,” it demanded!

So the time has come for me to embrace the ranch house vernacular not just intellectually, but emotionally. And if you’re among the people who say you like our home the way it is now, you’re in luck—and just wait until we start fixing this baby up!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Now that you mention it I have noticed that on lots of the home shows on HGTV and TLC lately they have featured ranch houses, often with the whole atomic 50's-60's design. yeah! Grow where you're planted, right?

    By Blogger Shannon, at 10:32 AM  

  • I love your house just the way it is. I'm glad you're keeping it! Can't wait to see the face lift!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:20 PM  

  • A courageous journey embarketh you, my rogue friend. Reminds me of the time I took the drunken lout William Clark and the indian hottie Sacagawea to find a route to the Pacific. Four frostbitten nuts and a pocketful of wampum later, we returned. Sacky (her pet name) may have known tracking and skinning squirrels, but she didn't know a thing about warming the orbs. And think, they put her face on a dollar coin! If you want a woman who deserved a dollar coin, it was Loose Haddie down at the Dodge City brothel. THAT was skilled labor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

  • You go girl! (and you too Matt) What's old is new (usually with improvements) which is what all those books and mags on ranch houses are seeming to say. Looking forward to seeing the new plans. Hope you home knows how much its owners care for it!!:)

    By Blogger Astrid, at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home