Roominations

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Things I won't miss...

As I left for work this morning, the house began to fill up with workers. Alex was there with Igor, the head of the drywall crew, a couple stucco guys arrived and it felt like people kept on heading in as I was heading out.

“I sure won’t miss the house being filled with strangers,” I thought to myself, hopeful the day would be so productive that it marked the beginning of the end of this phase of the renovation.

There are several elements of the renovation I won’t miss at all. Like the Port-o-Potty. Or the dumpster—and the obstacle course it creates. Speaking of mazes: it will be great not to be crawling over and around a variety of tools and home parts scattered through the interior.

I also won’t miss the weekly clean-up session in the yard to pick up the variety of detritus left by various sub-contractors.

Also on the “won’t miss” list is writing yet another check for yet another unexpected expense, none of which ever seem to be for a sum less than a grand. When the project is done, will nocturnal fretting become a thing of the past?

Going from a ranch house to a one-bedroom apartment is a lifestyle I’m more than ready to reverse. The master bedroom has become our version of the Axiom featured in Wall•E. Our bed is like one of the “why get up” loungers used by the humans on the starliner; as a result, the passengers lose bone density and muscle mass. Speaking of which: not doing our weekly in-house yoga session with Tiffiny is its own form of torture.

Is there any part of the renovation process I will miss? Ahhh... let me ponder that question... um... No!

On the other hand, has it really been a bad experience? No! And is it (already) worth it? YES!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Things I do miss... You! Can't wait to see you next week!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 AM  

  • I enjoyed the post this morning as I chewed the collected detritus. The sawdust, aluminum and styrofoam have filled me up with serenity and epoxy.

    What i miss most is that frothy delicious porto-potty smell. Fermented fajitas and corroding cerveza add a little sparkle to my step each morning as they waft.

    I leave you know to hack up a drywall dust bon-bon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home