Roominations

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Downstairs demolition 1: Dumpster delight

For a project that kicked off in February 2006 with the search for an architect, we had little to show for our efforts. We’d now hired a replacement architect and were growing impatient for some sign that this home would eventually be renovated.

What could we do? Prepare.

We began the sorting process on March 8. Actually, Matt had started earlier. I was more than a little resistant—until my husband told me to quit snarling and get with the program. I bared my fangs one more time for good measure and joined him downstairs to fill boxes and snap photos of items we hoped would find a new home.

The dumpster arrived Friday, March 14. Nephew Nick arrived on Saturday. A spectacular worker: charming, funny, uncomplaining and unstoppable. Like his Uncle Matt.

When you have a rented dumpster and access to teenage labor, you don’t have time to be sentimental—or environmental. You must survey all your stuff and decide: keep, donate or dump. Thus, it all had to go: fake art, hand-me-down and low-quality furniture long past its prime, leggy plants and played-out planters, a broken screen door, a stack of stiff shingles from the scary crawl space, knick knacks and do dahs—even Matt’s sports trophies.

By early afternoon, we took a break and ended up sitting on the couch, watching a Mets preseason game with unblinking eyes. That was quit enough heavy lifting for one day!

Next>>>

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations! It's the next step to demolition and house-happiness! Glad you're off and running!! Almost wish I had the dumpster & your indispensable help to sort through my stuff, but then I might have to get rid of my 7th grade science fair trophy...

    By Blogger Astrid, at 9:11 AM  

  • Isn't it cleansing to get rid of stuff that way? I know that's how I felt when we moved the last time. Especially since Rick wasn't around and I could throw out all his stuff!! Just kidding! He still complains that the only things I tossed were his... (He is standing behind me and he is not laughing!!!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  

  • The sports trophies are gone?!? What will they put in the Matt Presidential Hall of Fame and Sports Museum (opening May 1, 2027 in Rockaway Township!)? I'm sure his momentous escapades and web gems will be on Baseball Tonight this year, so be sure to save them to DVD.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM  

  • Good for you! You've succeeded where I've failed many, many times before: that is, throwing out old sentimental stuff, which doesn't serve any reasonable purpose anymore. Even though I may not have looked at something in more than nine years -- something that is taking up precious storage space -- once I unbury it and have it in my sights, the ol' irrational voice starts whispering in my ear: "You'll regret it if you throw this away" and "The moment you dispose of this, you'll suddenly have a need for it." Yes, I'm sure that drawing I did of an isosceles trapezoid in college in the early nineties will suddenly become vitally important -- a missing component needed to defeat an alien invasion, perhaps, or the one thing that will persuade a criminal to finally end a hostage crisis. Obviously, I'm keeping my clutter for humanitarian reasons . . .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home