Roominations

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We have stairs!

I was on the mobile with my brother, Kenny, when I got my first glimpse—and started taking pictures with the phone!

Since I couldn’t find the downstairs lights (they were probably removed as part of the electrical demolition taking place this week), I used two flashlights to help with illumination.

Now instead of a straight, steep shot down, we have an “L-shaped” staircase uniting the main and lower levels. There are 10 steps, a landing that will also take us to the utility room, and then five steps into the walk-out basement. The last step is, however, a doozie as we are raising the floor level to bring us above the concrete slab. Yes, we will be adding insulation. (I feel cozy just thinking about it.)

This means access to the laundry room. Why just this weekend I finally took my Mother’s advice and went to the wash-n-fold, glad I could throw money ($43) at the lack-of-utility-room-access-causing-an-underwear-crisis situation.

I will admit it: When Matt and I were looking for places to cut costs, we had considered building these stairs ourselves. Luckily, we got over that insane notion and left the project to the professionals.

+ + +

Epilogue: 9:23 p.m.

When Matt got home, he took one look at the stairs and pointed out the obvious flaw: the landing bypasses the utility room. Hmmm...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I see what Matt means. It looks like you will have to step up to get to the laundry room. Not a very big step though... Regardless it is nice to have stairs of equal height and distance!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:00 AM  

  • Did those stairs always make an "L". I cannot remember.

    By Blogger uuklanger, at 10:58 PM  

  • Hey Ken, the stairs used to be straight and very steep--with some steps having a different rise-n-run than the others. One day, I hope we'll actually have stairs that work!

    By Blogger Caroline LangerDavis, at 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home